With rain expected in the forecast over the next few days, Clinton Co is currently under a flood watch. SCCMUA is providing the following tips for homeowners to help prevent or reduce the chance for basement flooding:
- Make sure gutters are clear of leaves, sticks and debris
- Make sure downspouts are connected properly
- Test sump pumps, back-up systems, and backflow preventer (if applicable) to ensure they are working properly
- Remove valuable items from basements in case of flooding
- Minimize water usage where possible
- If a sewer backup occurs in a basement, homeowners should immediately discontinue household water usage and contact SCCMUA at (517) 669-8311.
For additional flood prevention tips, including projects homeowners may want to explore in the future, view this brochure from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)